Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful alternative to the typical marshmallow sweet potato casserole. I made it for Thanksgiving and my husband, who hates sweet potato casserole, couldn't get enough. I wanted to have more instead of pumpkin pie. A much more natural flavor than the kind with marshmallows (which I also like).
- 5 cooked sweet potatoes, peeled and mashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, salt, 1/4 cup butter, eggs, vanilla, ground cinnamon, sugar, and cream.
- Pour into baking dish.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup butter, flour, brown sugar, and chopped pecans.
- Mix together with a pastry blender or fingers until course.
- Sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
This was sooooo good, and easy too. I used a large can of yams. I drained and mashed them and then followed the recipe exactly. I did end up only using half of the topping and it was just right. I made this at Thanksgiving and then my family requested it for Christmas too. This recipe is here to stay! Thanks.
Wow! Great dish, easy to make, an excellent variation on a family favorite.
This was very nice. I really liked the pecans on top, but I thought the cinnamon and vanilla made it taste a little like pumpkin pie. An easy-to-make and nice addition to a festive meal!