Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Crispy yummy cakes ideal for serving to fussy eaters and a doddle to make.
- 700 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 25 g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 50 g quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Cook the sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and mash until smooth.
- melt the butter in a sauce pan and cook the onion and garlic gently for 10 mins until soft.
- Add the onions to the sweet potato along with the nutmeg and seasoning if desired. Mix well and leave to cool.
- Place the egg in a shallow bowl and the polenta in another .
- When the potato is cook enough to handle divide into four and form into cake shapes.
- Dip the cakes in the egg and then the polenta, once done refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and cook the potato cakes for 4 - 5 mins each side.
I love sweet potatoes, and especially those that have had the privilege of a savory treatment. The polenta made a nice coating for these cakes. Made for My 3 Chefs.