Souper Spice Sweet Potato Cake
- Ready In:
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube pan (Angel food cake pan).
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, soup, and shortening. Mix for 2 minutes or until completely blended.
- Add the eggs and syrup and mix 2 minutes more. Fold in the potatoes and nuts.
- Turn into the pan and bake about 45 minutes to an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely. Serve with powdered sugar glaze or sweetened whipped cream.
- NOTE: The cake can also be baked in a 9x13 pan or loaf pans. Just adjust the bake time. I've never subbed the pans, so I'm not sure about cook-time.
Join The Conversation