Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Taste of Home. A moist and tasty treat perfect for fall.
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk or butter)
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped
- confectioners' sugar
- In a mixing bowl, beat potatoes, shortening, water and egg.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to potato mixture and mix well.
- Stir in raisins and pecans.
- Pour into a greased 8-cup fluted tub pan. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
- An 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking pan can be used instead of a tube pan; bake for 30-35 minutes.
Maybe I'm getting a jump on Fall, or maybe it's just that I really enjoy eating yams, but this recipe seemed to be made for me & my kitchen! So, I used this here recipe & made A GREAT TASTING CAKE! I did use 2 very rounded 1/3 cup measures of both the raisins & (toasted) pecans! Thanks for a great recipe, one that I'll be making a number of times by the end of this year! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my teammates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #20]