1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
A different take on an old southern favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 quart whipping cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons cane syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 8 ounces French bread, torn into 1 inch pieces (1/2 loaf)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Peel and finely chop sweet potatoes.
- 3Arrange sweet potato in a steamer basket over boiling water.
- 4Cover and steam 10 minutes or until tender.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Combine raisins and rum.
- 7Set aside.
- 8In a bowl, combine eggs,sugar, 1 qt whipping cream, half and half, cane syrup and cinnamon.
- 9Add bread pieces, sweet potato, and raisin mixture.
- 10Spoon mixture evenly into 2 lightly greased 11x 7-inch baking dishes.
- 11Bake at 350ºF for 1 hour or until set, covering with foil to prevent over browning, if necessary.
- 12Serve warm with Rum Sauce and whipped cream.
- 13For Rum sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; stir in rum.
- 14Add powdered sugar; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- 15Stir in egg yolk; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until mixture reaches 160ºF.
- 16Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.4
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.1 g
- Saturated Fat 27.4 g
- Cholesterol 216.3 mg
- Sodium 290.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 42.4 g
- Protein 6.7 g