Recipe by American Chef in Spain
This is a twist on a recipe I found here in Recipezaar as I added the zucchini for more vegetables as I'm always trying to get as many vegetables as possible in a dish and I also added the cheese. I made a few other modifications as well. The Manchego cheese gives it some typical Spanish flavor, which I love to do to typical American dishes.
Top Review by Mrsspeevs
I'm sorry, either I made this complely wrong, or it is practically inedible. There was waay too much nutmeg, the slices of veggies just sort of floated in the milk and then burned.
- 500 g sweet potatoes (2-3)
- 500 g zucchini (1-2)
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup milk, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup grated manchego cheese, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF).
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes 1/8" thick. Rinse the zucchini with water and cut off ends. Slice the zucchini 1/8" thick. Set aside.
- Mix pepper, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Layer the zucchini and sweet potato slices in a 13x9 casserole dish. Sprinkle spice mix over each layer.
- Add milk until the dish is half full.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top. (You can use any kind of cheese such as Parmesan or even Cheddar, but the taste will be slightly different).
- Bake around 60 minutes.