Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I think these flavours work wonderfully together.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces red onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 10 fluid ounces water
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 lb carrot
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 27 fluid ounces tinned coconut milk
- 2 ounces chopped coriander
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice only
- coconut, grated and toasted,for garnish
- 3 1⁄2 ounces sweet potatoes, lightly poached and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 ounces coriander
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- lemon juice, maldon salt and pepper to season
- sunflower oil
- Sweat the onions, garlic and ginger in oil and butter.
- Add sherry and sugar, and sweat further for 5 minutes until it goes thick and sticky.
- Add water.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, fish sauce, tomato paste, sesame seeds, chilli flakes and coconut milk and simmer for 1 hour until all vegetables are soft.
- Top up with water as it evaporates.
- Puree with a hand blender and add coriander, cumin and lemon juice.
- If you prefer smooth soup blend in an electric blender.
- To make the pesto, puree all the ingredients together, if it is too thick add some sunflower oil to loosen it.
- Garnish the soup with coconut pesto and diced sweet potato.