1 hr 30 mins
I think these flavours work wonderfully together.
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 10 1/2 ounces red onions
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 10 fluid ounces water
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 lb carrot
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 27 fluid ounces tinned coconut milk
- 2 ounces chopped coriander
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- coconut, grated and toasted,for garnish
- 3 1/2 ounces sweet potatoes, lightly poached and diced
- 1Sweat the onions, garlic and ginger in oil and butter.
- 2Add sherry and sugar, and sweat further for 5 minutes until it goes thick and sticky.
- 3Add water.
- 4Add sweet potatoes, carrots, fish sauce, tomato paste, sesame seeds, chilli flakes and coconut milk and simmer for 1 hour until all vegetables are soft.
- 5Top up with water as it evaporates.
- 6Puree with a hand blender and add coriander, cumin and lemon juice.
- 7If you prefer smooth soup blend in an electric blender.
- 8To make the pesto, puree all the ingredients together, if it is too thick add some sunflower oil to loosen it.
- 9Garnish the soup with coconut pesto and diced sweet potato.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Potato and Sesame Soup with Coconut Pesto
Serving Size: 1 (2802 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3275.6
- Calories from Fat 2296
- Total Fat 255.1 g
- Saturated Fat 179.7 g
- Cholesterol 60.9 mg
- Sodium 2511.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 242.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 44.4 g
- Sugars 76.0 g
- Protein 42.5 g