Dinner will be ready in a flash! These are so tasty and wonderfully healthy. High in protein and low in fat. You can also use black beans or cannelini beans. I found this recipe on the internet and altered it to my liking.
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 (10 inch) wheat flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in beans, and mash.
- Gradually stir in water, and heat until warm.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
- Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between the warm flour tortillas.
- Top with cheese and roll up the filled tortillas burrito style, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven, and serve.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped green onions and salsa.
I had a sweet potato hanging around for a while and was looking for something to do with it. I actually found this recipe on Allrecipe web site but wanted to rate it so I came here. This was really excellent, such a wonderful blend of flavours. I microwaved the sweet potato for 4 min, made things go pretty quick. The only changes I made were to add some finely minced jalapeno peppers and I had no kidney beans so I subbed canned black beans. I left the bean/onion mixture a bit rough as I like the texture of the beans. Oh, and I forgot to add the water to the bean mixture but I don't think it took anything away from the recipe.
Delicious! Better than I could have hoped. The sweetness of the yams goes perfectly with the chili powder in the beans. I mashed my yams with a little bit of milk and nutmeg to make them taste more yammy, and I had black beans in the freezer this week instead of kidney. I also backed off a bit on the chili powder so the flavor could stand out from the heat. Oh I want to go down and get another one out of the fridge right now! Thanks so much for a winner.
Next time, I'll use more spices. It tasted like a bean burrito to me. I'd like to have more of a sweet potato taste but not sure how. Wasn't hot so I'll try baking them longer next time. I put the leftovers in the freezer and am hoping that they turn out as good as the originals. I didn't use picante sauce but will try on the ones in the freezer.