Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A fantastic vegan Thai soup from the Vegetarian society.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 pint coconut cream
- 2 limes, juice and zest of
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger for about 5 minutes until tender. Add the sweet potatoes and lemon grass and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Cool the soup slightly, then liquidise with half of the coconut cream and process until smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, add the remaining coconut cream.and season with salt and pepper. Heat through without allowing the soup to boil, and add the lime juice.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the lime zest.
Different and.....interesting. I forgot to take out the chunks of ginger before I blended which left the woody strings of ginger in the soup which wasn't fun and next time I would not put in the grated lime (or lemon) peel. Both mistakes spoiled what should have been a creamy soup. I will try this recipe again with these changes.