Recipe by BeachGirl
This was a huge success at Thanksgiving Dinner...not one bite left! Apples give these sweet potatoes a new twist! A nice company dish that can be prepared a day ahead, refrigerated, and baked just before serving. Cooking time does not include pre-baking sweet potatoes.
Top Review by Bergy
Excellent recipe - Even someone that does not care for sweet Potatoes had 2 helpings. I did cut back on the sugar & honey to 1/4 cup of each. I got the casserole ready in the AM and put it in the oven 40 minutes before dinner - I served it with a boiled ham, Asparagus & baked potatoes This is a keeper Thanks Beachgirl
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, baked
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled (or other firm apple)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon or 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1 cup pecan halves (optional)
- 1 cup miniature marshmallow (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all sauce ingredients and cook on medium heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.
- Set aside.
- Slice apples lengthwise and toss with lemon juice.
- Slice baked sweet potatoes.
- Spray 9x13x2-inch casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange apples and sweet potatoes in layers in casserole.
- If using pecans, sprinkle them on top.
- Pour sauce over casserole.
- ***If making ahead, refrigerate at this point.
- Add 10 minutes to cooking time below.
- Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, in middle of oven, basting occasionally, for about 30-45 minutes or until apples are tender and sweet potatoes are hot.
- VARIATION: If using marshmallows, add them on top of casserole during last 15 minutes of baking.