Recipe by lemoncurd
This recipe is sweet and tangy. You just can't get enough off it, both kids and adults go wild. It was given to me by a South African friend. Add enough turmeric to give a soft yellow colour.
- 1 cup basmati rice (only)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 cup ghee
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil rice with turmeric until al dente.
- Combine sugar, water and saffron. Boil until it forms a sticky syrup. Add lemon. Heat ghee with cinnamon.
- Add pineapple and syrup.
- Add rice and toss well. Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low until slightly moist.