Geelrys (South African Yellow Rice With Raisins)
Geelrys is one of many South African dishes with roots in the Dutch East Indies. This sunny yellow side dish is the traditional accompaniment to Recipe #456518. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 4 cups water or 4 cups stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar, white or brown
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (sultanas are best)
- butter (optional)
- Add the water or stock to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the remaining ingredients and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for another 5-10 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick, fluff with a fork and serve hot.
- Optional, Stir 1-2 tablespoons of butter into the cooked rice at the end.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 3 more