South African Yellow Rice
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the fresh and ground ginger, sugar, turmeric, cinnamon and curry powder.
- Sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook 2 minutes, then add the vegetable broth, salt and raisins. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, loosely covered, until rice is completely cooked – about 15 minutes. Add water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Remove pot from heat, cover, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"