Recipe by Sharon123
This is a contemperary take on a traditional steak house salad. Soaking the onions in ice water helps remove the bitter compounds. Adapted from Martha Stewart Living magazine.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
Sharon, we absolutely loved this salad, I made as stated only I added in a teaspoon of sugar and fresh garlic to the dressing, I am going to make this again and add in some cooked chicken or beef, what a great salad, thanks for sharing hon!
- 1 1⁄2 cups vidalia onions, very thinly sliced (1 small onion)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red onions, very thinly sliced (1 small onion)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups radicchio, cored, leaves separated, cut into 1/2 " pieces (8 oz.)
- 2 cups red leaf lettuce, torn into small pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved if large
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions into a large bowl of cold water. Mix onions in water with hands until water becomes cloudy. Move onions to a clean bowl of cold water and let soak 15 minutes. Repeat with cold water 2 more times. Drain and pat dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Whisk balsamic vinegar, honey, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Add in radicchio, lettuce, tomatoes, and parsley to bowl with onions. Drizzle with the dressing to taste, and toss well. Serve with remaining dressing on the side. Enjoy!