Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love this soup, we make it every couple of weeks.
- 6 -8 sweet onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup cream (or half & half, milk or skim milk)
- 1 cup chicken stock, beef stock or 1 cup vegetable stock (optional)
- Preheat large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add butter or margarine and stir onions until they are coated with butter.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and you'll find that the sweet onions have released their naturally sweet"nectar.
- "Add cream or your choice of milk and stock (optional) and simmer uncovered until the soup has obtained the thickness and texture you prefer.
- For richer soup, use less additional liquid.
- Season with herbs or salt and pepper if desired.
This is REALLY good soup. It also freezes really well.