Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
When you order 'tea' in TX you will be asked 'sweet' or 'unsweet'. It will then arrive in a big glass with lots of ice! Here is the way we make 'Swayte Tay" or Sweet Tea! Oh soo goooodd! Dont like it sweet- just leave out the sugar- or splenda.
- Put water and tea bags in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and cover. Let steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain or carefully press water from tea bags.
- Put hot tea solution into a gallon pitcher and add sweetener, stirring to dissolve.
- Add water to pitcher to fill.
- Cool in refrigerator and serve with ice.
I already have a great method for making tea with regular-size tea bags, but for some reason, I always have the family-size bags in the pantry. This turned out far too weak. It hardly tasted like tea at all. I will try again using this for only 1/2 gallon and see if that works better.
This is really good, but a bit weak for me. Seems like the tea bags are smaller than they used to be, puzzling. At any rate, I added 2 more bags to another cup of boiling water and it was better. Will definitely use this method, just use more tea bags.
Good ice tea, but it might be a little weak for some. I will continue to make it using 1/2 c. splenda and 1/2 c. sugar for myself. Hubby's doctor said tea was a no-no for hubby as it is kidney stone causing in some people. I've definitely cut back on tea since I've learned about the kidney stones, but I love iced tea and your recipe. Thanks for sharing!