Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Fill with Canned (solo cake filling)Poppyseed , Nut, or make Cinnamon rolls. cook time is rising time.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening (better yet 1/4 cup unsalted butter)
- 1⁄2 ounce dry yeast, 2 packages (1 envelope or packet of Active Dry Yeast, Instant Yeast, Rapid Rise Yeast, Fast Rising Yeast or Brea)
- 1⁄2 cup very warm water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- Scald milk and stir in sugar, salt and shortening.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in very warm water.
- Stir until dissolved, then stir into the lukewarm milk mixture.
- Add beaten eggs and 3 cups flour.
- Beat until smooth and stir in an additional 2 cups flour.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl and brush top with soft shortening.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from draft, until double in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Use as desired to make any of the following sweet breads.
Great bread dough. Simple, easy to work with, not dry, not sticky. A+
I followed the directions exactly, except it only took 4 to 4-1/4 cups flour to make a stiff dough. I made dough into rolls which rose well and baked up light and tasty - slightly sweet. This would make good loaf bread, cinnamon rolls or filled pastry. Thanks for a winning recipe, Rita!
this dough is way too dry! 5 cups of flour, 1 cup of liquid and 2 eggs, maybe a 25% hydration. Bad recipe.