Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe just won top prize in the 2012 Martha White/Lodge Cast Iron National Cornbread Cook-Off. They sound amazing! Published in my local paper, The Virginian Pilot on 05/30/12. **NOTE: Fresh peaches OR pineapple may be substituted for mango in the salsa.**
- 1 (7 ounce) package cornbread, & muffin mix (Martha White Sweet Yellow recommended)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cups peeled and chopped mangoes (about 2 - 3)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning (Old Bay is a good one)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- butter (for sauteeing shrimp cakes)
- lemon wedges and parsley (to garnish)
- Bake cornbread mix according to package directions, using milk and 1 egg; cool and crumble.
- Stir together salsa ingredients; allow to sit for 30 minutes. Serve or refrigerate until serving time.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in 12-inch cast iron skillet. Cook celery and 1/2 cup chopped red onion until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer celery and onion to large bowl. Stir in shrimp, seafood seasoning, 2 eggs, mayonnaise, 1/3 cup cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Stir in crumbled cornbread until well blended. Using about 1/3 cup, form mixture into 12 shrimp cakes about 2 1/2-inches diameter. Place on a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat. Cook shrimp cakes until lightly browned and shrimp turn pink, about 4 minutes on each side.
- Cook remaining shrimp cakes, adding additional butter as needed.
- Place cakes on a serving platter. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley. Serve with mango salsa.
Definitely delicious! Made as posted except I used 5 cups of crumbled cornbread. Next time I am going to make patties ahead and refrigerate just so I can get some clean up done earlier. Thank you alligirl.
What an amazing recipe alligirl. I loved it, these shrimp cakes were terrific. Great flavor and textures. The salsa was out of this world. What a great treat this was, my dh came home and I had to share with him. So I will be making these again and again. Made exactly as written but I used a frozen cornbread that I had in the fridge, it worked great in this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing a new family favorite.