Sweet, salty, tangy, aromatic, crunchy, hot and spicy. Don't leave off the garnishments; they add to the complexity of flavors.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, cut into thin half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (if needed)
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (Sambal Oelek)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts or 1⁄2 cup cashews, coarsely chopped and toasted
- Cook rice per package instructions using 1 3/4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt; keep warm.
- In the meantime, in a medium-sized skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, tossing frequently, 15 minutes or until onions are golden. The onions should reduce to about 1 cup. Stir in brown sugar, salt, chili paste, and rice vinegar; cook another 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gently fold rice into onion mixture. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro.