Crunchy Veggie Rice Paper Wraps
I just threw this together for an appetizer and they turned out as very tasty wraps - lots of crunch and peppy with the sweet chili sauce . It can be vegetarian by leaving out the crab or shrimp- still tasty. These may also be served as a side dish or as a course with an Oriental meal. I usually make the filling early in the day and roll the wraps within an hour or two before serving keep cool if you do these ahead. This recipe was inspired by recipe#64698 Vietnamese Soft Rolls with Crab by SueL There is a tutorial on making Spring rolls at this link: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=224922
- Ready In:
- 15 rice paper sheets (6 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup green cabbage, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 5 ounces imitation crabmeat (optional) or 5 ounces shrimp, chopped (optional)
- oriental sweet chili sauce (or any other favorite spicy sauce, allow 1/2 - 1 tsp per roll)
- Mix all the ingredients except rice paper& Chili sauce Shortly before serving soften each rice paper wrap separately- Do this by submerging the wrap in a bowl of warm water for a minute of two.
- When it is pliable it is ready, remove that one from the water and drop in another one.
- Lay out a couple of paper towels and place the softened wrap on the towel.
- Don't rub it just place it on the towel Place 1-2 tbsp of the veggie mix in the center of the wrap, add 1/2- 1 tsp sweet chili sauce.
- Fold up the bottom then fold in the sides and roll to form a sealed roll.
- Allow 3-5 per serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This was my first time making Rice Paper Rolls, and they turned out great! Once we caught on to the rolling technique, they were actually quite easy. We made ours vegetarian this time, but next time we'll add the shrimp, or maybe even chicken. These were delicious, and looked very impressive on a catering platter. Thanks Bergy! :)