Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
from newest book. Haven't tried.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 3⁄4 lbs carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened about 7 minutes.
- Add carrots cumin, pepper flakes, and salt. Stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes longer.
- Add broth and water; bring to a simmer until carrots are tender, 10-12 minutes. Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan and bring to a simmer to heat through. Adjust seasonings and serve hot with a teaspoon of sour cream per serving if desired.