Recipe by -Tulip-
A very sweet custardy bread pudding with more than a touch of vanilla. Inspired from Steve_G's Vanilla Bread Pudding.
- 8 pieces french toast bread (I find it at Safeway)
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 6 cups milk, best with whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut French Toast bread into small bite-size cubes.
- Place in the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 pan. (Works great in a clay pan, if you have one).
- Combine dry ingredients; set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs until foamy; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk and butter over low heat until butter melts; remove from heat.
- Add dry ingredients and vanilla to milk and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Very slowly, pour the milk into the eggs while constantly stirring, as to avoid curdling the eggs.
- Pour over bread cubes.
- Let sit for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the bread can become soaked.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the sides get brown and begin to pull slightly away from pan.
- Let cool slightly.
- This pudding is very sweet and doesn't need a topping but, if desired, top with whipped cream, ice cream or one of the many great toppings or sauces found here on Zaar.