Sweet Bakery Lemon Meringue Tarts
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 8 tartlet pans and set aside. Put the sugar, salt, flour, almonds, and almond extract in the bowl of a food processor and process to mix. With the machine running, add the butter in the feed tube about 2 tbsp at a time. Process until dough forms a ball.
- Press dough into tartlet pans and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- To prepare the curd, put the lime juice, zest, sugar, and egg yolks in a metal bowl, whisk until the curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour into prepared tartlet shells.
- To prepare the meringue, put the egg whites and the cream of tartar in the bowl of a heavy duty mixer and mix on high speed until the egg whites are very fluffy.
- With machine running add the sugar a little at a time. Continue to whip on a high speed until whites are shiny and stiff peaks form.
- Place meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe over the curd.
- To brown the outside if the tartlets, place the tartlets on a broiler pan and brown.