Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Comfort food! This dish is delicious when served with a rum raisin ice cream.
- 4 extremely ripe plantains, peeled and sliced lengthwise
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup dark bacardi rum
- 1⁄4 cup chopped and toasted macadamia nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the brown sugar and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the sauce starts to thicken somewhat.
- Add the cinnamon and the rum and remove from heat.
- Place the plantains in a covered baking dish.
- Pour the sauce on the plantains.
- Cover and bake 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add the macadamia nuts now, if using.
- Turn the plantains over, baste with the sauce in the dish, and continue baking uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- This will allow the plantains to brown slightly.
- Wonderful eaten alone, on ice cream or with pound cake or angel food cake.