Recipe by Babushka
Maple Syrup and Pumpkin? It's divine, AND totally vegan. I concocted this when making a birthday cake for a party including some friends who are vegan. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Sweet Baboo
I can't give a star rating because I made substantial changes to the original recipe, but I can tell you that the adaptation was really enjoyed. Ours turned out very moist, almost like a steamed pudding rather than a cake, but quite delicious none the less. I'm listing the changes I made in case anyone else has dietary restrictions and wonders if this recipe can be successfully altered. I substituted soft spelt flour, and because I used a whole grain I added an extra 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder and extra 2 1/2 Tablespoons of liquid, I used extra light olive oil, and for the sweetener I used 1/2 cup regular Splenda and 1/4 cup Brown Sugar Splenda blend. Next time I would eliminate the glaze. My cake took 35 minutes to bake. Served with whipped cream, this made a fine dessert.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil or 118.29 ml canola oil
- 118.29 ml maple syrup
- 591.47 ml flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 425.24 g can pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 4.92 ml maple flavoring
- 2.46 ml salt
- 28.39 ml maple syrup
- 28.39 ml powdered sugar
- 29.58 ml nonfat milk or 29.58 ml soymilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together dry ingredients for cake in bowl and set aside.
- Mix together oil, 1/2 cup maple syrup, and 1 cup sugar until well mixed.
- Add pumpkin and dry ingredients a little at a time, alternating each, but beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Add maple flavoring while mixing.
- Pour batter into greased 8x8 or 9x11 pan. Make note that times given are for 8x8 so watch your cake closely.
- Bake at 375F for 25 minutes.
- For glaze, mix together all three ingredients until well mixed. If you have some powdered sugar lumps, pass the glaze through a small strainer.
- When 25 miutes is up for cake, drizzle glaze over top while it is still in the oven. Cook for five more mintes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Cool on rack.