Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook6 hrs 15 mins
From Food Network Magazine. A wonderful slow-cooker recipe. Love the use of the apple butter, mustard and cider in the sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 lbs bone-in short ribs (about 2 inches thick)
- 3⁄4 cup apple butter
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- cornbread, for serving
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, chile powder, garlic, thyme, 2 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle all over the short ribs in a single layer in a 6-qt. slow cooker. sprinkle any of the remaining flour mixture on top.
- Whisk the apple butter, mustard, ketchup and cider in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until very hot, then transfer to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high, 4 hours.
- Using tongs, turn the ribs in the sauce to coat, then remove to a bowl. Skim off the fat from the sauce (there will be quite a bit) then return the ribs to the sauce and add the carrots and scallions. Cover and cook on high, 2 more hours. Serve with cornbread.
Very good - I had some short ribs that I got on sale in the freezer that I wanted to use and found this recipe - very good but also very spicy but this is probably my chili powder - I also kept mine on "warm" for a long time. I used a package of baby carrots and skipped the scallions - a great dinner which my family enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!