Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found on Pinterest and traced back to Half Baked Harvest. I don't eat meat, but would serve this to my meateaters! I'm going to try the sauce with tempeh or tofu! These are great because you can totally make them in advance (even freeze them in the sauce and let thaw about 30 minutes before popping them back in the oven) and just pop them back in the oven for a few minutes before you are ready to serve. So easy and so perfect.
- 1 lb boneless chicken tenderloins, cut into nugget-sized pieces (or breasts)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour (or conrmeal)
- 1 cup sweet Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional, but it adds great flavor)
- 2 coves garlic, minced (or grated)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- cashews, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 475°F Line a baking sheet with foil and spray or brush it with the olive oil.
- Add the chicken to a large bowl and pour the buttermilk overtop. Mix well and set aside.
- In a shallow pie dish or large bowl add the panko, whole wheat flour and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the buttermilk, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been used. Make sure not to crowd your pan, if necessary use two baking sheets. Spray each chicken "wing" with non-stick spray or a mist of olive oil.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then gently flip using kitchen tongs and spray the other side. Bake for 10-12 minutes more, then remove from oven. Reduce the oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the chicken is baking combine the sweet thai chili sauce, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, peanut butter, tomato paste, apple juice, rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and pepper in a medium sauce pot. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Gently toss each piece of chicken in the sauce, draining the excess sauce back in to the pot. Place the chicken back on the pan and repeat until all the chicken is coated in the sauce. When ready to serve place the pan of chicken back in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through and to help the sauce coat the chicken.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped cashews and any extra sauce for dipping.
- The chicken "wings" can be made ahead and coated in the sauce. To reheat the "wings" preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until hot. Serve as directed.
- Good served with a side of rice.
Wow, what can I say? These really are great. What a flavor burst in your mouth, we love these so much. Thanks for the recipe.
Enjoyed the wings, but loved the sauce. It was very good, and flavorful, and made for a great football snack/ lunch. Made for PRMR tag.