Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These flavoursome meatballs in a sweet and sour tomato sauce are delicious with any pasta - cheap and easy too! Use good-quality sausages with a high-meat, low-fat content for the best flavour. How to freeze: Cool the sauce, pack into a tub, seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months. Thaw in the fridge.
- 14 ounces sausages
For the sauce
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fresh
- 14 ounces roma tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces tagliatelle pasta noodles (or your favourite pasta)
- salad leaves
- parmesan cheese
- To make the sauce: Put the onion, garlic, oil and butter in a heavy pan and cook over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally to soften but not brown the onion. Add the parsley and tomatoes and cook for about 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to make the meatballs: Slit the skin on each sausage and pull out the meat, breaking each sausage into 6 rough pieces.
- Purée the sauce through a sieve into a jug, or use a stick blender, then add the vinegar, sugar, spice and seasoning.
- Fry the chunks of sausage meat for 5 mins in a frying pan (no oil needed). Drain off any excess fat. Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and cook, covered, for 10 minutes If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little water.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions on the pack. Serve the meatballs in the sauce on the pasta. Sprinkle with more chopped parsley. Serve with salad and freshly grated Parmesan.