These flavoursome meatballs in a sweet and sour tomato sauce are delicious with any pasta - cheap and easy too! Use good-quality sausages with a high-meat, low-fat content for the best flavour. How to freeze: Cool the sauce, pack into a tub, seal, label and freeze. Use within 3 months. Thaw in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces sausages
For the sauce
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped fresh
- 14 ounces roma tomatoes, canned
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1To make the sauce: Put the onion, garlic, oil and butter in a heavy pan and cook over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring occasionally to soften but not brown the onion. Add the parsley and tomatoes and cook for about 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- 2Meanwhile, to make the meatballs: Slit the skin on each sausage and pull out the meat, breaking each sausage into 6 rough pieces.
- 3Purée the sauce through a sieve into a jug, or use a stick blender, then add the vinegar, sugar, spice and seasoning.
- 4Fry the chunks of sausage meat for 5 mins in a frying pan (no oil needed). Drain off any excess fat. Pour the tomato sauce into the pan and cook, covered, for 10 minutes If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little water.
- 5Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to directions on the pack. Serve the meatballs in the sauce on the pasta. Sprinkle with more chopped parsley. Serve with salad and freshly grated Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Oamc)
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 921.5
- Calories from Fat 558
- Total Fat 62.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.6 g
- Cholesterol 199.5 mg
- Sodium 1311.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 39.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt & freshly ground black pepper