Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe a long time ago online and am posting it to preserve for future use. From the Swan's Down Cake Flour company. Cooling time not included in preparation time.
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted (Swan's Down brand preferred)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (not spread or tub product)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites (whipped to soft peaks)
Frosting and Fillng
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 figs
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (your choice)
- candied cherry, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease two 9" round cake pans.
- Add flour and salt to sifted flour; sift together three times.
- Cream butter thoroughly; add sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture alternatly with the milk, a little at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Add vanila; stir whipped egg whites quickly but thoroughly into batter.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Let cool in pans for five minutes; turn out onto cooling rack to finish cooling.
- For the frosting/filling: Combine egg whites, water, sugar and corn syrup in the top of a double boiler; beat with a whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Cook for seven minutes or until the frosting stands in peaks.
- Remove from double boiler; add flavoring and beat until thick enough to spread.
- For the filling: scald figs and raisins and chop.
- Add enough frosting to the chopped fruit and nuts to make a filling that wll spread easily on the cooled cake.
- Spread filling between the layers.
- Spread the remaining frostng on top and sides of cake.
- While the frosting is soft, sprinkle top of cake with chopped candied cherries and additional chopped figs, raisins and nuts.