These sushi poppers are tasty and do not require an expert to prepare. Young children would find these fun to make.
- 1 cup freshly cooked short-grain rice
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1⁄2 cup smoked salmon, chopped small
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) canof solid albacore tuna in water
- 1⁄4 lb fresh small shrimp
- 1 small fresh cucumber
- 1 large avocado
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- wasabi paste
- In a large shallow dish, spread rice and sprinkle with seasoned rice vinegar and sesame seeds.
- Using a wooden spoon, toss gently to combine, (DO NOT STIR or rice will clump).
- Keep rice covered with a damp cloth if not using immediately.
- Using wet fingers, place a rounded teaspoonful of rice in the palm of your hand and roll into a ball.
- Make an indentation in the center with your finger.
- Place your choice of desired filling in the indentation.
- In small bowls, make up a combination of fillings that you enjoy.
- Dip fingers into water and pack rice firmly around filling to make a small ball.
- Repeat with remaining rice and your choice of filling.
- Sprinkle each popper with toasted sesame seeds and a dot of wasabi paste and place on a platter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and keep at room temperature until ready to serve.