Recipe by RedVinoGirl
This is a one-pan tasty and quick weeknight meal! It's something you can spice up any way you like yet is healthy and filling. It's one of my husband's favorite dishes to take to work for leftovers. It reheats really well. The recipe calls for sprinkling cheese on top at the end. I don't do this...and it's still great and filling. Got this recipe from my mom eons ago. This makes a very dry beefy rice...which my family prefers. If you like it more moist, you'll want to alter the rice/broth ratio to suit your tastes. Minced jalapeno's also make a tasty addition if you like some spice.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
I made this on 11/6/11 for the Universal Dishes/Child's Play Event in the Food Photo Forum,and most importantly for our dinner :). To save a step,while browning the beef, the onion and garlic were added.Since I'm a wimp,only one can of the green chilies were added. After reading the reviews,I used a full cup of beef broth.Other than those changes, the recipe was made as it was written.And for me cheese isn't optional, it's a requirement :). Instead of adding it to the completed recipe, each person added the desired amount to their portion. After tasting,I did have to add a bit of sour cream to mine.( read SPICY,at least to me.)When this is made again, I will cut back the chili powder to about 2 teaspoons to see if that will help reduce the spiciness.Even though it was SPICY, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I add lots more!)
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (I add lots more!)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (I use garli garni)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies (as hot as you want them!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (can use Rotel!)
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups Minute Rice
- 2 teaspoons parsley (optional)
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in oil and drain.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients except for rice, parsley and cheese and bring to a full boil.
- Stir in rice and cook 8 minutes, covered, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle with parsley and cheese.