Recipe by Emily
This is a really great cheese soup, the carrots are perfect with the cheese. My step-mother makes this for a crowd and there is never any leftovers! Use a can of chicken broth or make your own stock. Works great with turkey stock after thanksgiving too. You can even substitute a vegi broth if you are vegetarian.
Top Review by Is This Really Necessary
"Fabulous" might be a bit exaggerated, but it certainly is not bad. Use a low salt stock, or it will turn out unbearably salty (because of the salt in the cheese).
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup grated celery
- 5 cups soup stock
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots, celery and stock until carrots are tender.
- Saute onions in butter.
- Slowly add flour to make a roux.
- Slowly add milk to make a thick sauce.
- Reduce heat- do not boil.
- Slowly add stock/vegi mixture.
- 5-10 minutes before serving add in cheddar cheese and stir until melted.