Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
A little marshmallow bite in the middle of this yummy chocolate cookie. Mmmmmmmm. I tried this recipe from Martha Stewarts Kids February magazine
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15 large marshmallows, about
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- candy sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, using electric mixer; beat in egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture ½ cup at a time; mix well after each.
- Drop batter onto ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart, using an ice-cream scoop (it holds 2T.).
- Bake until firm, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut marshmallows in half crosswise.
- Make frosting: Place powdered sugar in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter with cocoa, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Pour this mixture into the sugar.
- Add milk and vanilla, and whisk.
- Remove cookies from oven and press 1 marshmallow half onto each cookie.
- Bake 2 to 2 ½ minutes more, until marshmallows begin to melt.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Spread about 1 T.
- of frosting on top of each cookie until marshmallow is hidden.
- Before icing sets, decorate with sprinkles, if you like.
These are very good. I notice that the last batch I made, which I baked a minute or so less than called for, were moister. They were also a little more fragile and harder to handle. But I would recommend underbaking a minute or so for a moister cookie. My family really liked them.
These cookies were easy to make but we found them just a little dry which I suspect might have been something I did when making them ( I am guilty of not always measuring accurately). Very good tasting and the marshmallow makes for a surprise when you bite into them. I will definately try these again, taking more care with the amounts of ingrediants.