1/2 Photos of Super Simple " Eye"talian Meatball Casserole
I felt like carbs for dinner but also wanted something more than just plain spaghetti. I also needed something quick to put out for dinner as dinner was in an hour. Working parents all know this feeling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large meatballs (Italian sausage or ground beef, can use more to suit family needs and size of meatballs)
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes (or use fresh cut up)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
- boiling water
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (I use more- we love garlic, fresh garlic can be substituted)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces ziti pasta (any pasta with a grab- ridges to hold sauce)
- 1If meatballs are frozen, thaw in microwave to just warmed.
- 2Put tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes tomato paste,chopped onion, jalapeno pepper, 1/4 cup water, 8 oz of cheese, and seasonings in a 9 x 13 casserole dish and blend together.
- 3In the meantime, boil water and make noodles to al dente.
- 4Drain noodles, add to casserole dish and blend in making sure sauce covers all the noodles.
- 5Add meatballs and gently blend inches.
- 6Sprinkle 4 oz of cheese on top covering casserole dish.
- 7Put in oven at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- 8Check for burning of cheese ( may cover with aluminum foil gently to prevent some burning or browning of cheese.
- 9Cooking is to warm through and through and to melt cheese. If our oven cooks hot or altitude is high adjust time in oven.
- 11I have also made this in a smaller casserole dish and microwaved for a faster dinner in less than 20 minute.
- 12May substitute cheese flavors such as Fiesta blend, Taco blend to give another flavor.
- 13Measurements are not exact on spices as I eyeball them, cheese is a few handfuls in the dish and 1 handful on top.
- 14My meatballs are Italian sausage meatballs but can be turkey, ground beef or a mixture of any kind.
- 15NOTE: prep does not include boiling water.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Simple " Eye"talian Meatball Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.4
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 33.6 mg
- Sodium 1031.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 18.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: