Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a variation of "Super Simple Pot Roast" #53950 by Shawn C that has become a staple in our weekly menu. Adored by all that have tried it!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 white onion
- 1⁄2 lb peeled baby carrots
- Put onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, broth in crock pot.
- Add a can full of water, mix well.
- Add carrots.
- Rinse chicken, remove giblets and stuff cavity with onion.
- Cook on low heat for about 6 hours.
- This will vary depending on you crock pot.
- Check after 6 hours.
- Meat will be falling off bone, soup will be bubbly, and carrots will be tender.
- Gravy is good as is, but I like to take it out and thicken it in a skillet.
- Put gravy in skillet, medium heat.
- Mix some flour (2-3 T) with a little water (2-3 T), slowly add to gravy, stirring until thick.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
I made this last night and my whole family loved it (even my 3 picky children). I made it exactly as the recipe was written.
This is a very easy and comforting meal. I did add salt and pepper, and a diced green pepper to the dish when I prepared it. I served it with wide yolkless noodles and green beans. My family raved about the dish. I am sure it will be fixed often here. Thanks so much for posting.
Okay...I thought about not even posting a review...but I didn't feel that was right. I'm sorry but hubby and I didn't care much for this...something just wasn't right. The flavor was not what we had thought it might be. Others have enjoyed it so it must just be OUR tastebuds.