Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Make ceratin to use a good quality apple pie filling, I use E.D.Smith brand for this, it really makes a difference in the taste. This makes two strudels, you can cut the recipe in half and use just one puff pastry sheet and one can pie filling. This takes much less time to make than your traditional strudel version, but I think it is just as good! Prep time includes 40 minutes pastry thawing time.
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- Thaw the puff pastry sheet for 40 minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg and water.
- After 40 minutes, unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface, with the short side facing you.
- Spoon the apple mixture on the bottom half of the pastry to within 1-inch of the edges, then sprinkle with raisins (if using).
- Starting at the short side, roll up like a jelly roll.
- Place seam-side down on the baking sheet, then tuck ends under to seal.
- Brush with the egg mixture.
- Cut several 2-inch slits (2-inches apart) on top.
- Repeat with the next puff pastry (if you are making two strudels).
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.
Super easy and also super yummy! I halved the recipe, and used part of a resealable jar of Lucky Leaf premium pie filling. I put raisins on half, but left them off half because I don't like them. I also had some caramel apple dip left over from Easy Saturday Morning Crescent Caramel Rolls, so I drizzled it across the top as soon as I took it out of the oven, then sprinkled with powdered sugar after the 30 minute cooling time. DELICIOUS! I think it would be wonderful to mix some of the caramel apple dip in the filling as well before baking. This has to be the easiest dessert I have ever made, and the taste is better than any apple pie I've ever had. It would be good with a powdered sugar glaze on top as well. I would gladly serve it to company as well! I will gladly make it again, exactly as written, and with the caramel addition. Thanks so much posting such a wonderful recipe Kitten!
This was so easy and so very good. I made it as written and left out the raisins. Thanks for posting.