Recipe by FLKeysJen
A colorful, low fat, high protein meal that will fill you up...from the Best Life Diet.
Top Review by Annacia
I agree with Jen in that this isn't your traditional "mac and cheese". I actually like it better because I can enjoy it and not have to think about all the bad things that the high sat-fat is going to do. Broccoli is my fav veggie so this is a real hit with me. I used lean ham in place of the chicken because I have leftover from Christmas dinner and it was great in this. I also cut the amount of pasta in half and I thought that there was lots in it. Thanks so much for posting this Jen. Made for Photo Tag.
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta (about two cups uncooked pasta)
- 1 small red bell pepper, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen cut broccoli in cheese sauce (Green Giant frozen broccoli and three cheese sauce)
- 2 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish. Cook the pasta as directed on the package, adding the bell pepper during the last three minutes of cook time. Drain the pasta and return it to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli and cheese sauce as directed on the package. Stir the cooked broccoli mixture, chicken, milk and cayenne pepper into the pasta. Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning; stir in the olive oil using a fork. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the pasta is hot.