Khandi Howard's Note:
This is a basic spaghetti sauce recipe, made extra flavorful by the addition of bacon. Also the addition of cornstarch at the end thickens the sauce and makes it adhere to the noodles better. This is a family favorite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g bacon, chopped cut crosswise into narrow strips
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped (or pressed)
- 907.18 g Italian sausage, casings removed
- 680.38 g lean ground meat
- 4.92 ml crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- 29.58 ml dried basil (divided)
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 4.92 ml dried marjoram
- 236.59 ml dry red wine
- 793.78 g can petite diced tomatoes
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 236.59 ml red wine
- 453.59 g mushroom, roughly chopped (or sliced)
- 2 (1814.36 g) can spaghetti sauce (I like Hunt's, any flavor)
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 1Heat pan, add bacon pieces and fry until crisp. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons oil.
- 2Add ground meat and sausage, salt, onions, and peppers and cook about 3 to 4 minutes until meat is beginning to lose its pink color.
- 3Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon basil, orregano, red pepper flakes, marjoram, and continue cooking until vegetables are soft and meat is beginning to brown.
- 4Add tomato paste and cook until it begins to brown on bottom of skillet stirring constantly.
- 5Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so until it is fragrant.
- 6Pour in wine and deglaze pan, stirring it to loosen all of the brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Let it cook until the wine is reduced by about half and the mixture is very thick.
- 7Add diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce.
- 8Simmer for 20-30 minutes (the longer the better).
- 9Add another tablespoon of basil.
- 10Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water and stir to form a slurry, and stir into sauce, continue to cook for about 10 more minutes on low heat.
- 11Serve over spaghetti.
- 12***I usually use Turkey Italian Sausage - it tastes great and is less greasy.
- 13***For the spaghetti sauce, any brand or flavor will work - I usually use Hunt's roasted garlic.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Super Duper Extra Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (438 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 601.2
- Calories from Fat 343
- Total Fat 38.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 1833.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean ground meat