Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Taken from Nita Mehta's Breakfast Cookbook
- 4 uncut hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons cheese, grated
- Slice the top of each bun and scoop out neatly to makea hollow bun, leaving a 1/4in wall all around.
- Spread some ketchup in the hollow part of the buns.
- Butter the edges and the sides of the buns lightly, set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp butter and saute onions till soft.
- Add the carrots and peas.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon the carrot-pea mixture in the hollow buns.
- Break and egg on the veggies in the buns.
- Sprinkle cheese over egg and bake in a 400F oven for about 10 minutes until the egg white is set, the cheese is melted and the buns are crisp.
I'd made some hamburger buns the other day & found this recipe to be a perfect fit with them! However, since my buns were pretty big, I doubled the vegetable filling amounts & that worked just fine! Made for an interesting & memorable breakfast! Thanks for sharing this great keeper! [Made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe tag]