Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from TOH. Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices (2 pounds).
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (70 to 80)
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select wheat bread setting.
- Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water of flour if needed).
OK, so this is a bread-machine recipe, & I don't have one! BUT, thanks to a friend of mine who DOES, we managed to make this up in no time & shared a GREAT TASTING loaf! Now I want my own machine! Anyway, this was sooo nice, what with the rye & whole wheat & sunflower seeds! Well worth making again! Many thanks! [Made & recievew for the 'hallabut'!!]
While I adore the bread mixes I can buy from King Arthur Flour, I really wanted to be able to do some of their breads from scratch, on my own...When I saw Taste of Home mentioned in the description of this recipe I knew I'd found a good one! I must confess, though, I changed up the flour mix and used 3 cups bread flour plus 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour because I had no rye flour...Oh and whatever you do...Don't stick the sunflower seeds in the beginning because during the initial 'rest cycle' (on the whole wheat cycle) the seeds I'd put in half-MELTED from the warmth! So when the ABM beeped for the addition of nuts I perforce had to add MORE sunflower seeds...Not that bad a prospect since I LOVE sunflower seeds, LOL...The loaf survived both my flour change and the sunflower seed mishap and turned out WONDERFUL! I adore the slices toasted and slathered with butter! This one's a keeper! Thank you for posting this recipe!