Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This one comes from "Modern Spice" by Monica Bhide. I haven't made this but wanted to save for later.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 large red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 lb chicken piece, skinned and boned
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. When the spices begin to sizzle, add the onion and ginger-garlic paste. Saute until onion begins to change color and soften.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. If this mixture begins to stick to the sides of the pan, add up to 1/4 cup water.
- Add the chile powder, turmeric, coriander and salt to taste. Cook, stirring for another minute or two.
- Add the chicken and stirring constantly, cook until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed and rice is done. The final dish will be barely moist. Fluff the rice and serve.