This one comes from "Modern Spice" by Monica Bhide. I haven't made this but wanted to save for later.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 large red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 lb chicken piece, skinned and boned
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick and bay leaves. When the spices begin to sizzle, add the onion and ginger-garlic paste. Saute until onion begins to change color and soften.
- 2Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. If this mixture begins to stick to the sides of the pan, add up to 1/4 cup water.
- 3Add the chile powder, turmeric, coriander and salt to taste. Cook, stirring for another minute or two.
- 4Add the chicken and stirring constantly, cook until chicken is almost cooked through.
- 5Add the rice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed and rice is done. The final dish will be barely moist. Fluff the rice and serve.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sunday Night Skillet Chicken and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.5
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 487.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: