Recipe by robd16
Rich and indulgent, this is a great birthday cake alternative, especially suited to special occasions. The combination of strawberries, cream and vanilla is just heavenly and you’ll wish that you’d have made 2 cheesecakes, one to serve to guests, and another for when they have gone! If you use homemade quick cook strawberry jam your cheesecake will be the best in town.
For the base
- 100 g shortcakes, buiscuits
- 100 g digestive biscuits
- 50 g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the filling
- 300 g cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄2 vanilla pod, split and seeds removed (can use 2tsp PURE vanilla extract)
For the topping
- 1 jar of homemade strawberry jam (can use good quality store bought)
- 300 g strawberries (1 large punnet)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 160°C
- Crush the biscuits with a rolling pin in a plastic bag or use a food processor.
- Mix in the sugar and add the melted butter mixing well and press into a large flan dish covering the sides and edges. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling, put everything in the blender or whisk by hand until everything is smooth. Pour over the base and bake for 25 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to make sure it isn’t browning, if it is, cover with foil for remaining cooking time.
- Once ready a toothpick or skewer inserted into the centre should come out without any wet mixture attached.
- Allow to cool.
- For the topping, melt the jam in the microwave or in a small pan. Do not allow to boil.
- Once cool enough so that it is still runny but not steaming, pour over the entire cheesecake.
- Cut the strawberries in half and decorate the cheesecake leaving 1 strawberry with the green stalk attached to place in the centre.
- Refrigerate for at least 4hrs or until ready to eat.