Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs summer squash
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 12 -15 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese or 3⁄4 cup longhorn cheese
- Peel and de-seed squash.
- Cut into large cubes and boil until tender.
- Mash thoroughly and add butter, egg, onion, salt, pepper and crackers.
- Place in buttered casserole dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until bubbles appear on edge, about 25 minutes.
This tastes just like what my mom makes. It's a great squash recipe!
This is the same as my Nanny used to make. She never seeded the squash. Also her recipe says Ritz or any other cracker. Thanks!
I can definitely tell that this had potential, but something didn't quite work well with mine. It came out too mushy and oily. I melted the butter so maybe that was the problem. Or maybe I didn't drain the squash well enough after boiling it. In the end, it just seemed like there was too much butter. I may try it again or read through more reviews to see if there is a solution to my problem because I can tell that otherwise the taste would be very yummy, reminiscent a bit of butternut squash bisque. Also, I see that some people say the onion wasn't cooked well enough - that wasn't a problem for me. I used my slap chop to make it really fine, perhaps they just need to be really tiny pieces in order to be cooked all the way through.