"...while visions of sugarplums danced in their heads..." Make these up to 1 month in advance; store, refrigerated, in an airtight container with parchment or waxed paper between the layers. From Saveur magazine, December, 1999.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricot
- 1 cup finely chopped pitted dates
- 3 drops orange liqueur or 3 drops orange juice, if mixture is too dry
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange almonds on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast in oven for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, then finely chop.
- 2Meanwhile, combine honey, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in a medium mixing bowl. Add almonds, apricots, and dates and mix well; (add a few drops of liqueur or orange juice if mixture is too dry).
- 3Pinch off rounded teaspoon-size pieces of the mixture and roll into balls. (Rinse your hands often, as mixture is very sticky.) Roll balls in sugar, then refrigerate in single layers between sheets of waxed paper in airtight containers for up to 1 month. Their flavor improves after ripening for several days.
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sugarplums
Serving Size: 1 (778 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.8
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: