Kate in Katoomba's Note:
Hope you're feeling Christmasy as these are perfect treats for when you want to get festive. These are mentioned in the classic poem "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and are full of yummy, good things. This recipe is different from the other "Sugarplum" one posted on Zaar and comes courtesy of Stephanie Alexander via "The Sydney Morning Herald". As a child I always wanted to be the Sugarplum Fairy in the ballet "The Nutcracker". Too many of these and she wouldn't get in the tutu.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 160 g whole almonds or 160 g hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup seeded dates, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons almond oil or 2 teaspoons hazelnut oil or 1 neutral flavored oil
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Place nuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, then cool.
- 3Process nuts in a food processor until quite fine, but not to dust.
- 4Add remaining ingredients except the oil and the icing sugar.
- 5Pulse a few times to mix.
- 6Turn mix into a bowl and rub your hands with a little of the oil.
- 7Note to self: now is not the time to answer the phone.
- 8Pinch of walnut sized pieces and roll into balls (you will need to re-oil your hands at least twice during this process as the mixture is very sticky).
- 9Sift the icing sugar over the rolled balls, enough to coat well.
- 10Store in an airtight container.
- 11Refrigerate in hot weather.
Nutritional Facts for Sugarplums
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.4
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 9.6 g
- Protein 2.1 g