Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another Graham Kerr wonder! From his cookbook "Simply Splenda". In his words, "This is dense, thick and dark brown, just like my grandmother made. The apple peels are left on to add pectin." **** Cooks Note: Apple butter can be used in baking - can replace up to 1/2 of the shortening in many recipes. Add with the liquid ingredients. You may need to reduce sugar in recipes since the apple butter is already sweetened. . P.S. It's also wonderful on plain old toast or waffles!
- 4 lbs cooking apples, washed, UNPEELED, cored and cut into quarters (12 cups, try MacIntosh, Jonagold, Northern Spy or Gravenstein)
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Slice apples into a crock pot. Cook on low until they're very soft, 4-5 hours.
- Remove from crock pot & press soft apples through a sieve to remove the peels. Stir in the Splenda, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Return mixture to crock pot and cook another 3-4 hours on low setting. (mixture should reduce to about 4 cups).
- Spoon into clean jars (those cute little half-pint jelly jars would be perfect),leaving an inch of headroom. Cover with lids & freeze the jars that you want to use later. Store thawed apple butter in the refrigerator.
- Note: for oven prep, cook apples for 2 hours on 350°F After sieving & adding spices and Splenda, return to oven for another hour.
- Serving size listed is 1 tablespoon.
Delicious and so easy. I used regular white sugar cause I didn't have Splenda. The well in the house was so comforting :) Thanks SusieQusie :) Made for market tag.