Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A special recipe from a friend's collection, one that tastes as good as it looks! It's a tried and true recipe that never fails to please. Amazing how a recipe that is so easy to make could taste so good! NOTE I don't process mine - make as we have been making them in our area for generations. Processing does change the texture. If you have safety concerns you may do so if you wish - if processing I would recommend a 10 minute boiling water bath. Be sure to use non reactive containers (use stainless steel, unchipped emamel/porcelain - be sure your plastic bowls and containers are food grade)
- 1 gallon mixed vegetables (mix of cucumbers, cauliflower, white pickling onions)
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 5 cups vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Prepare vegetables cutting into serving size pieces, sprinkle with 1/2 cup salt and let stand for three hours.
- Rinse well with cold water to remove salt.
- Brine Mix: Mix and bring to a boil.
- Put vegetables in sterilized jars, cover with boiling brine and seal.
Made up just half a recipe as a trial run, to see how it worked out! I left a small amount out for a day just to check the taste ~ WONDERFUL ~ & I expect them to be even better next week & the week after! As much because of the taste as the looks of the finished product in the jars, I've included this recipe in my 'Holiday Gifts' cookbook! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]