Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Can't remember where I found this one, but it sounds like just the thing for a cold, windy day.
- 1 lb split peas
- 3⁄4 cup barley
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dried mushroom, sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 Tbs dried)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
- Rinse and drain the split peas, then add them to a large pot with.
- 8 cups of water or broth.
- Add all of the other ingredients except the butter, scallions/chives, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 90 minutes or until the split peas, barley, and vegetables are all soft.
- Stir occasionally, adding more water if/as needed.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat, cover, and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with chopped scallions or chives and serve.