Prep 2 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a super simple recipe that my entire extended family has adopted. It does takes 3 hours from start to finish, but the results are really worth it.
- Place rack in center of oven. Preheat to 350 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes to remove any dirt. Place sweet potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet or an oven-proof stone. Bake for one hour.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven, flip them to the other side, and bake another hour.
- Once the second hour has passed, turn OFF the oven and keep the potatoes in the oven for another hour.
- This long baking time produces a very sweet sweet potato that is very easy to peel. They are almost carmelized. (Take a bite before you add the butter, it really doesn't need it).
I learned this years ago from a Ph.D. in horticulture. He explained the chemical process of breaking down the sugars. 4 hours at 250° - even better! Slow and low is the way to go!
veggie_mama, I'm sorry, what was that? I was looking in my oven...
Wonderful recipe...just as good as Texas Roadhouse sweet potatoes!!