Here's a one-skillet version of chicken and stuffing made with wholesome ingredients. I prefer chicken thighs because of the rich flavor of dark meat, but boneless, skinless breast works too. Serve with Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes. From Eatingwell.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 5 slices whole-wheat country bread, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, salt-free (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless, skinless trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (see Tip)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups mushrooms, quartered (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add celery and shallot; cook, stirring, until the shallot begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add bread and poultry seasoning; cook, stirring, until the celery has softened and the bread begins to crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the stuffing to a medium bowl and toss with 1/4 cup broth; set aside. Wipe out the pan.
- 3Toss chicken with 2 tablespoons flour, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the remaining 1 1/4 cups broth with the remaining 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl and set aside.
- 4Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken (shaking off any excess flour) and mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- 5Increase heat to medium-high; add wine (or sherry) and cook, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon, until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in the reserved broth-flour mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes more. Spoon the reserved stuffing over the chicken mixture. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the stuffing begins to crisp, about 4 minutes.
- 6TIPS & NOTES:.
- 7Shopping tip: Look for “salt-free” poultry seasoning near other spice mixes. If you can only find poultry seasoning with salt, reduce the salt to 1/8 teaspoon.
- 8Tip: To trim boneless, skinless chicken thighs, we like to use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat. After trimming, you'll have four 4-ounce portions.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffing-Topped Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.2
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 143.2 mg
- Sodium 731.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 43.0 g